The Ethical Framework
Local Authorities are required to adopt a Code of Conduct which sets out rules governing the
behaviour of their Members and satisfies the requirements of the Localism Act 2011. All
elected, co-opted and independent Members of local authorities, including Parish Councils,
are required to abide by their own, formally adopted, Code. The Code of Conduct seeks to
ensure that Members observe the highest standards of conduct in their civic role. The Code
is intended to be consistent with the seven principles:
Seven General Principles of Conduct
1. Selflessness – Holders of public office should act solely in terms of the public
interest. They should not do so in order to gain financial or other material benefits for
themselves, their family, or their friends.
2. Integrity – Holders of public office should not place themselves under any financial or
other obligation to outside individuals or organisations that might seek to influence them
in the performance of their official duties.
3. Objectivity – In carrying out public business, including making public appointments,
awarding contracts, or recommending individuals for rewards or benefits, holders of
public office should make choices on merit.
4. Accountability – Holders of public office are accountable for their decisions and
actions to the public and must submit themselves to whatever scrutiny is appropriate to
5. Openness – Holders of public office should be as open as possible about the
decisions and actions that they take. They should give reasons for their decisions and
restrict information only when the wider public interest clearly demands.
6. Honesty – Holders of public office have a duty to declare any private interests
relating to their public duties and to take steps to resolve any conflicts arising in a way
that protects the public interest.
7. Leadership – Holders of public office should promote and support these principles by
leadership and by example, and should act in a way that secures or preserves public
Chew Magna Parish Council Members’ Code of Conduct
Each Parish Council has adopted a Code of Conduct which is the same as Bath & North
East Somerset Council’s Code of Conduct as detailed. Each Parish Councillor has agreed
to observe the Code of Conduct.