In the first few decades of the 20th century discussions at Parish Council Meetings were centred mainly on local Charities finances, allotment rents, and byways and footpaths. However, although a major item concerning the provision of a mains water supply was discussed as early as 1896, it was another 40 years before the Parish Council succeeded in its plans and it was available in the village in 1936. Can you imagine what it must have been like?
Following the 2nd World War, the forerunner of todays refuse collection commenced with an initial collection of ashes, which until then had been dispersed on residents gardens. Street lighting was discussed and many of the lights in the village today, were installed by 1951. A small number of council houses were built in 1952 and it wasn’t until the installation of a main sewerage scheme throughout the village in 1962 that cottages were upgraded and had bathrooms for the first time. Also, small developments took place and Planning applications increased and started to add to the work load of the Parish Council.
Throughout the 1960s the Parish Council was concerned with the decline of the Old School Room. And in the 1980s, with generous donations from residents, grants and fund raising, the Old School Room was purchased as a village hall. Extensive improvements and eventually the building of the Millennium Hall was aided by more grants and a loan from the bequest of £40,000 to the Parish Council by Bernard Gover, and three Councillors serve as trustees to the Old School Room charity still today.
In the 1990s the Parish Council used money from one of the village charities, the Gover Bequest, to extend and revamp the King George V Playing Field, providing a car park, basketball court, and a young children’s play area.
In the 21st century your Parish Council and Clerk have to be aware of all the various pieces of legislation that are in place today covering all our daily lives. The council looks after and reports on all highways and byways including trees, hedges and verges, throughout the parish, makes sure all footpaths are kept clear and styles are serviceable, considers all planning applications to ensure they conform to all the latest legislation, runs the parish flood warden scheme, looks after the King George V playing fields and play equipment, is responsible for all the village street lighting, installed, and considers crime and public safety, also considers environmental and sustainability issues and how they may affect the Parish and Village. The Council has to consider and report on all the new local Government Papers and initiatives that are being considered, like the ‘Core Strategy’, ‘Green Belt’, New Planning Law, ‘Listed Buildings’, Link Roads, and Rapid Transport system.
The Council has councillors that represent the parish on numerous committees and public bodies, namely: Old Schoolroom Management Committee, PACT, Parish Councils Airport Association, Airport Consultative Committee, Chew Magna Fair Trade Steering Group, Target 80 and all the Unitary Authority guidance meetings
Employees of the Council are:
Kirsty Headlong (Parish Clerk)